Sunday 11 November 2018


Snippets from James Woodforde, A Country Parson's, Diary

April 15, 17778. “Brewed a vessel of strong Beer today. My two large Piggs (sic), by drinking some beer grounds taking out of one of my Barrels today, got so amazingly drunk by it, that they were not able to stand and appeared like dead things almost, and so remained all night from dinner time today. I never saw Piggs so drunk in my life, I slit their ears for them without feeling.”

Which leads me to the question: Why did Parson Woodforde slit their ears. Tut tut, today, what would the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals have to say about that?

April 16, 1778 “My two Piggs (sic) are still unable to walk yet, but they are better than they were yesterday. They tumble about the yard and can by no means stand at all steady yet. In the afternoon my 2 Piggs (sic) were tolerably sober.”

I wonder if the pigs also had hangovers.

www.rosemarymorris.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/

https://bwlpublishing.ca/authors/morris-rosemary-romance-historical-
uk/



No comments:

Post a Comment